Monday, April 27, 2015

Technology and people

I am a lover of science but I am also a person who searches out new experiences. I think people think I am strange when I can enjoy something completely random and get excited about it. There are people that are passionate about science but have no time for sport. That's ok but you shouldn't make a decision on anything in life until you experience it, at least once. When you are in a stadium with a huge crowd chanting for your home team it is not just the game that is moving you it is the pride in your team, school, town or country. The atmosphere is electric as they say. In science the possibilities are endless. I find people are scared of science because they don't understand it or they say they don't understand it. Science has it's own language which can be difficult to decipher. Generally there are too many words. Ultimately it doesn't matter, if you end up using the technological advances you don't really need to understand how it works so long as you have a use for it. I like to search for new discovers and watch how they will be developed in the future. Some disappear altogether. I am still waiting for the car that runs on compressed air.


The coming step in technology is artificial intelligence. It will make a huge impact on our lives in the near future. Machines will be able to do things man cannot. It is an interesting time. As humans I wonder though does communicating with a machine make us happy? When I catch up with my friends in person it's like a battery recharge. If I haven't seen them in a while I get cranky. I may talk to them on Facebook or social media but the experience is not the same as seeing them, giving them a hug or physically being in their presence.


Machines that can think for themselves. Machines that can evolve like humans.  Machines that can learn. The research is fascinating. The reasoning for why we need these machines is also fascinating. One reason is that we are making machines that can think better than we can so there are less mistakes. But isn't this how we learn. Don't we make mistakes so that we will learn to do things better in the future. Then again as humans we have been to war many times and what have we learnt? I have no doubt that AI will be used in warfare. That's what really scares me.


Technology has it's place, it is definitely a part of our lives and will continue to be but it is only 1 part, it is an accepted part but for me I like to try and enjoy the simple things and try new experiences, meet new people, listen to their stories and not just live life but experience it..

No comments:

Post a Comment